Saturday 5 July 2014

Down an Icy Hole - brings back memories of my youth

In my youth I used to explore cave and became very interested in how they were formed. Pictures like this striking one from the New Scientist reminded me of the time I spent many hours doing research in muddy holes in Devon. They may have been a lot warmer than this one, but they were much smaller. 

(Image: Ingólfur Bjargmundsson)

This stunning image of the aurora borealis illuminating the weird underground world of a vast cave in Iceland is vying for an award.
Photographer Ingólfur Bjargmundsson lay in wait in the frozen 1360-metre-long lava cave to capture this image of the aurora borealis at its peak through one of the cave's natural skylights.
The snow pedestals on which Bjargmundsson's silhouetted subjects are standing accumulate under the skylights in places where the roof has caved in.
This stunning photo is a contender in the Astronomy Photographer of the Year 

No comments:

Post a Comment