Wednesday, 28 June 2017

Trapped by inadequate building Regulations

I am sure that I am not the only person who has had nightmares after this horrific event - and am reminded of an earlier disastrous fire in which burning plastic made in the town where I live resulted in 55 deaths. As our M.P., David Gaulke, was only 2 years old when it happened I decided to write to him to remind him of the earlier event, caused by plastic made in his constituency:-

I am sure your, like everyone else, is horrified at the Grenfell flats fire and will have sympathy with everyone affected by the fire. The immediate issue is to stop jerry-building with inflammable materials as soon as possible. However it is very important that no stone remains unturned to identify the weaknesses in the system of  building regulations and ensure that they are properly enforced.

I am writing to make you aware that there will be a number of people living in the North West of your constituency who have particular reasons to be horrified at the Government’s failure to being in adequate building regulations relating to the use of inflammable materials in building construction, and in particular in keeping the regulations up to date as technology changes.


You are clearly too young to remember the Summerland fire at Douglas, IOM, in 1973 when 55 people died. Many deaths and injuries were caused because, to allow light into the entertainment centre, the roof was made of large plastic panels. The fire spread to the roof which melted - showering the people below with drops of blazing plastic. These panels had been made by a company called Williaam Cox, which was then based in Tring - their factory having now been replaced by Tring's Tesco store. Obviously Tring people who worked in the factory will be particularly distressed when they learnt of the death and destruction their product had caused.